Call for ARTISTS
Downtown Oregon City Association is looking for Mural Artists to create and paint a small sign mural for a business in Downtown Oregon City.
DOCA’s Gateway Enhancement Project is a collaborative project led by DOCA in partnership with private property owners and businesses. In spring of 2017, DOCA received the Oregon Main Street Revitalization Grant to enhance the gateways that welcome people into our Downtown. While there are several aspects to this grant including signage, façade enhancement, and lighting, this Request for Proposal is specifically related to the painted sign for Eclectic Appeal’s exterior wall.
This project consists of one sign mural for Eclectic Appeal located at 621 Railroad Avenue in Oregon City, Oregon. The mural installation will be painted on an exterior masonry wall. This is a public art opportunity for a qualified artist, team of artists or sign painter working alone or collaboratively to layout and install public art on the exterior wall of a business.
Eclectic Appeal is a jewelry store with a distinct style that references Art Deco, Art Nouveau, and Vintage vibes. Their eclectic jewelry from around the world ranges from the late 1800s to the 1970s. More information can be found on their Facebook page. Logo included here:
The Name of the Business must appear in the sign mural. Otherwise, DOCA and Eclectic Appeal are looking for your interpretation of some or all of the following general concepts:
· Vintage Post Card
· Art Nouveau Themes
· Art Deco
· Abstract Art
Description of Physical Layout
The exterior wall of Eclectic Appeal (See locations in addendum: Photos of Wall) at 621 Railroad Avenue. Surface is narrow, smooth, painted stucco recently cleaned and primed for the project. Access to wall is from a public sidewalk. The maximum allowable space is 25 square feet to fit within the existing lighting and City Sign Code restrictions. The lighting allows for about 50” wide so the ideal dimensions would be 4’ wide x 6.25’ tall.
Masonry paint, “breathable” low VOC. Paint and finishes need to be able to withstand outdoor conditions and resist fading and peeling to the greatest extent possible.
Application Submittal Procedure
The following materials shall be submitted for a complete application:
1. Completed & Signed Application Form (see attached).
2. Conceptual Pencil Drawing/s - These materials should convey the artistic intent, i.e., design renderings, photos, colors, materials, fabrication processes and other visual materials to adequately illustrate the proposed work and your abilities as an artist or sign painter. We do anticipate that this will take some time, but we do not want you to spend more than a few hours on this.
3. Project Budget - The budget should detail all expenses: labor, materials, travel, meeting time, installation costs, etc.
4. Time Frame / Work Plan - Provide a brief outline of the steps involved in the proposed project with your proposed timeline and availability.
5. Bio or Resume(s) (not to exceed 3 pages) Provide any information on previously related experience not to exceed three pages. Artists working collaboratively must submit a resume or other background information for each team member.
6. Sample Work Portfolio - Artists and sign painters provide a link to your website or up to 10 digital images.
Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted. All questions regarding the proposal shall be directed to: Liz Hannum, Downtown Oregon City Association 503-802-1638 email@example.com. Proposals will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. on November 30, 2018 by email or at Downtown Oregon City Association, 814 Main Street, Oregon City, OR 97045.